Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Israel's "Centrists" my "right of return"and New York City.

Well, the media says that "centrists" have made gains in the recent elections in Israel. They go on about Israel's  democracy and so forth.

EARTH TO ALL OF THEM: UNTIL PALESTINIANS GET SELF DETERMINATION EITHER IN A STATE THAT THEY ACCEPT OR AS FULL BLOWN CITIZENS OF THE COUNTRY UNDER WHOSE RULE THEY LIVE,  (ISRAEL) AND UNTIL THOSE PALESTINIANS WHO ARE IN TOTAL EXILE GET THE "RIGHT TO RETURN" THAT I HAVE THERE IS NO DEMOCRACY THERE.

The centrists are rightists as long as they support a state in which a religion has supremacy over all others and in which people with palpable roots in and connection with the country can't go home, can't vote and take part in the political process these "centrists" are but fascists and supremacists.

About my right to return

People want to know what I, a Jewish guy, think about Israel.

I want to make something clear. I live in New York. I am from New York. I do not have a right and 
do not want a right to "return" to Israel. I never was there. I want to skip all the arguments about 
whether or not today's Jews descend from the people of the Old Testament. I don't care if I do or I 
don't. It doesn't matter nor should it.

The territory that is known to many as Palestine had been peopled by Arabic speaking folks for centuries, 
mainly they were Muslims, many were Christians, and a few of them Jewish too. Most of those people were 
kicked out of their lands and homes in 1948 by people like David Ben Gurion and Ariel Sharon and more were 
expelled in 1967. They are the ones who have a right to return, not me.

Actually there is a place I want to return to. The New York of my youth. That was a place where the schools 
were the best. Where a first class education to the university level was there for free, with extra money for the 
most gifted. It was a place where a widow working as a sales clerk could pay the rent for an apartment for her kid and herself, not a room in someone else's place.

The place I want to go back to was called a "Union Town." There were factories and warehouses and eleven
 or twelve newspapers that hired typesetters, proofreaders, truck drivers and more, people who could on their 
wages, pay a going rent.

Yes, let the Palestinians return to their homes, and let me return to mine.