Tuesday, August 20, 2013

From a real asshole taxi driver: I was and am very concerned about the safety disaster known as the Hailo driver app. So far only the Guardian has taken the matter seriously.Which makes sense I suppose. What could I know about taxis?

I am confident that if I keep pushing the matter eventually I will get results. This Hailo driver app is a bad accident waiting to happen. Imagine taxi drivers online chatting, taking phone calls, reading dense maps, inputting data, while they are moving two ton death machines up and down the street where you live. Welcome to the world of Hailo. I know second hand that Uber is much the same.

I am a sixty-seven year old grandfather who has driven a taxi for 23 of the past 33 years. The other ten years I was entrusted to evaluate the safety of children, execute removals when they were in danger, give testimony in court and often work with detectives of the Special Victims and sex  abuse squads of the NYPD. If I call myself asshole taxi driver it is to express my frustration at seeing that this safety question is seen to be worth considering only in a British newspaper.

Well, onward and upward.

http//gu.com/p/3hytp

Put it into your browser, please.