Saturday, April 27, 2013

Technology is amazing, and Thomas Friedman is a jerk.




I'm going to be sixty-seven years old on April 21.

I just was on a video call with some of my wife's  extended family members in Venezuela. Stuff like this blows my mind, let me tell you why.



When I was a kid in Queensbridge my mom got a party line telephone with our neighbor and almost aunt Carrie Sawinski. Later, on my seventh birthday we got the first television on the block as far as I knew. Kids from all over Queensbridge come to our "house" (yes people in projects call our apartments our "houses") to see the miraculous screen, I don't remember the first TV show we saw. Sometimes this scene seems to be the foggiest dream. Other times it seems like yesterday, even if I can't remember what we watched on the TV on my seventh birthday, sixty years ago. .

Now a flat broke taxi driver in the General Grant Houses can video chat with his remote in laws in a small town in Venezuela, not rich people at all, either.

Thomas Friedman says the world is flat. He is a jerk, but it is incredibly small, isn't it?