Saturday, April 27, 2013

Jewboy of Queensbridge


Queensbridge- 21 Street New York/NYC Subway/F Sign
Queensbridge- 21...

Buy This at Allposters.com

I lived in Queensbridge projects between the ages of five years old and thirteen years old, then we moved up Twenty-First Street to Ravenswood projects. I lived there for the years between my thirteenth and eighteenth birthdays. I was bar mitzvahed at Adath Israel, a modern Orthodox synagogue that moved up Twenty-First  Street from Queensbridge to Ravenswood almost exactly when my family did.

You don't meet a Jew every day who grew up in Queensbridge. I have posted some stuff about those years but I want to put those posts all together, and frankly with this title that includes the word "Jewboy" I expect some people will stumble upon these stories and appreciate them, or maybe hate them.


Technology is amazing, and Thomas Friedman is a jerk.



Feb 08, 2013
Queensbridge was and is reputedly this very dangerous and very black place.Now, thee was an incident when my bedroom window was shot out one night and my sister and I were unhurt by the flying glass (a miracle of a sort ...
23 hours ago
There still were "white" and even Jewish families living in Queensbridge, not many but some of us were still there. Some of the kids were members of the Boys' Club which was located on 21st Street up past Broadway.
Jan 21, 2013
We lived at 40-08 Twelfth Street, apartment 1D in Queensbridge and I think it was one or two floors above us that the Mittel's had their suite, two apartments cojoined to accomodate their numbers. My mom always warned me ...
Feb 20, 2013
Growing up in Queensbridge also counts for some chops I would say, as does my constant residence in this city over 66 years, at one time or other in each and every borough. No one loves New York City more passionately ...


Jan 21, 2013
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/nytimes/...es+No+Handicap Names Son for Hitler, But Sees No Handicap New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Feb 9, 1943. pg. 14, 1 pgs. Document types: article. ISSN/ISBN: ...