Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The wold famous Halal guys of Sixth Avenue at 53rd Street


 I've been watching them for years and wondering just how a sidewalk street cart could draw such henormous crowds, and why people from all over the world ask me to bring them to this corner for some sidewalk served food.  I always felt distanced or alienated from this cart, (actually of late there are a few carts serving out of the same big food truck) that it must be too expensive, that the lines are too long, that I don't want to stand on line with night people anyway, because when I look at them my mind hers a non tipper yelling that they want to listen to Z100 or Hot 97 (ugh) and make me turn my radio over to their primitive drug sodden preferences..

This Monday I was there, it was four in the morning, my wife had told me to eat in the street, there were no crowds at all, so I took the plunge. My verdict: It's damned good food and not expensive either.

Sixth Avenue at 53rd Street, they're there almost perpetually and they'll fill your belly with good good food for just six bucks,